Lighting is one of the important elements to turn your house into a home. No matter how beautiful your walls and furniture look, not having the right lighting will destroy the appearance you want. Aside from aesthetic purposes, proper lighting can allow you to carry out daily tasks easily and make your house feel safer and more comfortable.
Create the Look You Want
Proper lighting allows your home to reach its full potential by providing the exact amount of light for your needs. Here are a few tips to ensure you get proper lighting:
1. Note that lighting fixtures should be different depending on where they are located in the house. The lighting on the foyer should provide high, basic illumination to create a welcoming ambiance. For foyers, it is better to get a traditional chandelier or other transitional lighting that is close to the ceiling. If you can see the fixture from the second floor, make sure the chandelier will look nice from that angle as well.
2. A chandelier will not work well for stairways and halls unless they are really wide and enormous. When lighting up the stairs, make sure the fixture can light up the entire stairwell from top to bottom with switches in both areas. The proper lighting and multiple light switches at the top and bottom prevent accidents from happening. Lighting fixtures can be smaller in stairs and hallways.
3. Size proportions are important when choosing the best lighting fixture. Not only is a properly-sized lighting fixture more balanced aesthetically, it also makes sure you can work without problems.For example, if you have a narrow foyer, you should choose a large chandelier. If you have a larger space, a larger lighting fixture is better. Lighting that is too small in a large space can make the area look dimmer. Lack of proper light will discourage productivity unless you are designing the space as a relaxation area.
4. The kitchen is the busiest part of the house where you cook and perhaps eat meals. On certain occasions, children might even do their homework in the kitchen while dinner is being prepared. It is a good idea to make sure there is sufficient lighting in this part of the home.
Kitchens that are less than 100 square feet may only need two fluorescent lamps. Anything bigger may require more illumination or bigger lighting fixtures. If you are going to install lights in a workroom or library, a fixture with higher illumination capacity is better.
5. When deciding on lighting fixtures, make sure to talk about your plans with a lighting expert. A professional can help you make a better decision on which lighting fixtures are the best to buy and where to put them. If you do a quick search online, you will see that there are many different types of lighting fixtures to choose from. It is important to choose a brand that is durable and long lasting.
To create a great appearance in your home, it helps to choose a lighting fixture that defines your style. Your personality should not only shine through your walls and furniture but through your lighting as well. The focal point of each room in your house is the lighting fixture and it should reflect your own personal style. It is important that you do not compromise on your lighting needs and buy fixtures from reliable sources.